Madrid Abierto - Call for artists
MADRID ABIERTO is a project framed within so-called Public Art i.e. interventions and performances derived from an artistic concept and developed preferably in a public and open context. Interacting with social and political processes, these works are aimed at the active or passive protagonists of such processes, i.e. all those people who, directly or indirectly, regularly or occasionally, live together in a specific physical, communicative, social and symbolic space, in this case, the City of Madrid. After the last two editions great success, the new project competition of artistic installations for Madrid Abierto 2006 is now underway.
- The aim of this call is to select a minimum of ten projects for temporary or short-term artistic projects to take part in Madrid Abierto along with other guest projects.
- The projects will take place coinciding with ARCO in February 2006 in Madrid, along the axis of Madrid’s Paseo de la Castellana and Paseo del Prado boulevards’.
- You may enter individual or group projects (for group projects you must name a representative). This call is open to artists of any nationality.
- Each project must include:
- Curriculum Vitae of no more than 2000 characters and a photocopy of the DNI (Spanish National I.D. card) or an equivalent document of the author or authors’ of the project.
- Description of the project of no more than 4000 characters.
- A maximum of six outlines and images of the project in jpg format with a resolution of 72 ppp.
- Description of the assembly system and technical requirements.
- Approximate and itemized budget, including details of the concepts which may be able to be self-financed.
- Maximum funding for each selected project is 12.000 euros, including all production, transport and assembly costs, the author or authors’ fees and all applicable taxes.
- Projects should be sent by e-mail to: email@example.com, before the 31st of May, 2005 or by standard post to:
Fundacion Altadis-Madrid Abierto
calle Barquillo, no. 7
- The institutes promoting Madrid Abierto shall assign a commission to select the project, presided by the programme director. The commission will select a minimum of ten projects, evaluating the quality and viability of the proposals, as well as the total reversibility of the projects. As we are dealing with projects that will occupy public areas, it will be essential to obtain the corresponding authorisation from the municipal authorities for their installation.
If the selected projects make any use of third party images, the artists must provide the express authorisation of the owners of these images for their use in the project.
- Madrid Abierto reserves the right of publication and reproduction of the selected projects for all case relating to the promotion of the programme, and shall incorporate all generated documentation into its documentary resources and public archives. The projects and works selected shall be the property of the authors and the promoting institutions shall have a preferential right to their possible purchase.
- Participation in this competition entails full acceptance of the above rules and conditions.
For further information:
Direction: Jorge Diez
Coordination: RMS La Asociacion
Sponsors: Fundacion Altadis, Comunidad deMadrid (Consejeria de Cultura y Deportes), Ayuntamiento de Madrid (Gobierno de las Artes de Madrid).
Collaborators: ARCO2005, TVE-Metropolis, Circulo de Bellas Artes, Casa de America.