CINESONIKA 4 will showcase international works of film and video with fascinating soundtracks, idiosyncratic sound design, eclectic scoring and innovative approaches to the sound-image relationship. The festival will be held at Vancity Theatre in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada in conjunction with the academic conference on soundtrack studies at Simon Fraser University, July 8-10 2014.
The festival is open to works in any format, including narrative, documentary, animation, experimental, and uncategorizable styles, with no minimum or maximum run time. Please note that there is a $15 entry fee that needs to be paid online along with submissions.
CINESONIKA accepts submissions by DVD (no web links) as all works are evaluated on the same AV system. All DVDs should be formatted as follows:
- NTSC format
- Bluray for HD works
- Please LABEL each DVD clearly with: Your Name, Title, Run Time, Country of Origin, Year Produced, your email address
- No Watermarks or other copyright graphics over the video content
- No MENUS on your DVD please! Your DVD should feature ONLY the work you are submitting, and it should be set to AUTO-PLAY on INSERT
- No LOOPING DVDs please
- Each video submission will require its own submission form and entry fee
- Fill out the online submission form below and make the entry fee via the online Paypal. You will receive a confirmation email from the festival organizers when your submission fees and electronic form have both been received
- If your work is accepted, we will ask you for a short video excerpt and still image for online preview to be sent by email link
Call for Papers & Conference Presentations: CINESONIKA 4
The Fourth International Conference & Festival of the Soundtrack
Venue: Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, British Columbia
Dates: July 8-10th, 2014
Keynote Speaker: Amy Herzog (Queens College, CUNY) author of Dreams of Difference, Songs of the Same: The Musical Moment in Film and co-editor of The Oxford Handbook of Sound and Image in Digital Media
We are seeking multi-disciplinary contributions on sound in relation to the moving image. Media thinkers, film scholars, art historians, performance theorists, composers, filmmakers, sound practitioners, multimedia semioticians, philosophers of perception – we invite these and others to submit proposals for 20 minute panel presentations. All accepted presentations will be considered for inclusion in The Soundtrack academic journal if expanded into papers and submitted for peer review (1000-3000 words for short articles, 5000-6000 words for long papers).
Submitting to the Conference
Please write “Cinesonika 4 Abstract” in the subject heading.
Deadline for Abstracts (under 500 words): June 1 2014
Please submit your abstract and short bio both as an attachment (.doc or .pdf) and also pasted into the body of your email submission, to firstname.lastname@example.org