Berlin University of the Arts (UdK)
The UdK Berlin is one of the biggest, most traditional institutions of advanced artistic education in the world. It has the right to award doctorates and post-doctoral lecturing qualifications and offers more than 40 study courses covering the full spectrum of the arts and related academic fields. With its Colleges of Fine Art, Design, Music and Performing Arts and the Central Institute of Continuing Education it is one of the few centres of advanced art education in Germany with university status.
Art and science are moving towards one another, discovering common issues and working methods. The creative, imaginative processes in the arts and sciences are similar, whereas the concrete realisation of their results tends to differ. Repeatedly, this difference is the source of productive tension and areas of friction. In all disciplines of the arts and sciences, further developments over recent decades have been characterised by mutual influences and efforts at differentiation. Today, traditional dividing lines between the spheres can no longer be maintained; they are being newly defined and presented in their permeability.
This competition aims to give the impetus and opportunity to artists (fine art, media, architecture, design, music, theatre, visual communication etc.) and scientists to work between the priorities of the arts or between the arts and science.
Individuals and groups are eligible to participate. Full-time employees of the UdK Berlin, as well as students of the UdK Berlin and other colleges/universities are excluded.
The prize will be awarded on a biennial basis and is endowed with €7,500.
- Prof. Martin Rennert, President of the UdK Berlin (chairman of the jury)
- Wolfgang Knapp, Commission for Artistic and Scientific Projects at the UdK Berlin
- Prof. Axel Kufus, Speaker of the Postgraduate School of the UdK Berlin
- Fiona Tan, Amsterdem (for the scope of arts)
- Benjamin Bergmann, Munich (for the scope of arts)
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Schnalke, Berlin (for the scope of sciences)
- Dr. Angela Schönberger, Berlin (for the scope of sciences)