is ALTERNATIVE NOW
The WRO Media Art Biennale is the leading international forum for new media art in Poland and Central Europe. Since its inception in 1989, WRO has been presenting art forms created using new media for artistic expression and communication, exploring current creative territories and building a critical perspective toward emerging issues in art and society.
Over the years, the WRO Biennales have raised a variety of questions about creative approaches to new technologies and the expanding technosphere of social media – about the creative crossover realms that arise where art and science, economics and social activism intersect. The theme of the 14th WRO Biennale, which starts on May 10th 2011, is ALTERNATIVE NOW, highlighting the roles of individual artistic stances and strategies that keep a deliberate distance from the institutionalized mechanisms and standardized expectations of the art world.
WRO 2011 Terms and Conditions
- The WRO International Media Art Biennale is organized by the WRO Media Art Center Foundation. The main WRO 2011 Biennale events are scheduled for May 10th – 15th, 2011.
- The WRO 2011 program is open to media art completed after January 1st, 2009, made using electronic/digital media and exploring processual forms of expression and communication.
- Each participant may submit up to three works.
- Works can be submitted by the artists/creators, by the producer or by a distributor who holds the rights to the submitted work.
- Works are submitted to WRO 2011 by sending a properly completed entry form (both electronic and physical versions) and a viewing copy of the work (a physical version only) to the Biennale organizers.
- The entry form is available on the WRO 2011 website. It must be properly filled out by the party submitting the work and submitted both electronically (via the WRO 2011 website) and in printed form (see point 6).
- Viewing copies must be submitted on DVD, BD or flash drive, as digital video files.
In the case of installations and performances, viewing copies must take the form of a written description plus video documentation in one of the formats noted above.
In the case of web/net-based works, viewing copies must be in the form of either a link to an Internet site containing a working version of the piece being submitted or a digital application submitted on DVD, BD or flash drive.
- Viewing copies accompanied by properly completed, printed and signed entry forms must be sent to the address below.
- Submissions must be postmarked no later than January 5th, 2011.
- There is no entry fee.
- The submissions that will be entered in the WRO 2011 program will be selected by the organizers.
- The parties submitting works selected by the WRO 2011 organizers will be individually notified. A list of the selected works will also be published on the WRO 2011 site.
- The works selected by the organizers will presented during the WRO 2011 Biennale.
- The main WRO 2011 prize amounts to 20 000 PLN (Polish zlotys) and will be awarded by the Artistic Director.
- The organizers will provide the artists/creators of works selected for the WRO 2011 Biennale program with free accommodations during the main WRO 2011 events and an entry pass to the Biennale events.
- Excerpts of submitted works may be used in net and electronic publications and/or broadcasts related to the WRO Biennale. If permission is given on the entry form, (complete) works may also be archived in the WRO Digital Library for noncommercial educational and research purposes.
- Submission of a work to the WRO 2011 Biennale indicates acceptance of the terms and conditions set forth here, including agreement to the presentation of the submitted work during the Biennale.
WRO ART CENTER
ul. Widok 7