IASKA is calling for Expressions of Interest from artists working with visual, digital and hybrid media who are interested in participating in the second iteration of spaced, IASKA’s recurring event of socially engaged art. This new event will comprise 16 residency-based projects that will take place in regional Western Australian locations throughout 2013-14, followed by a group exhibition of the residency outcomes at the Western Australian Museum (WAM), Perth in early 2015.
The curatorial focus of spaced (2013-2015) will consider the idea of collective memory as the source of competing narratives through which we create new visions of our communal present and future. Participating artists will be invited to undertake a residency with one of the regional hosts and commissioned to create new works during this time that are informed by a dialogue with local residents and aimed at exploring local issues in a global context.
The 16 spaced residency projects will encompass:
- Artistic practices that intervene in the fabric of everyday life and straddle the boundaries of art, science and technology, social activism, design and/or architecture;
- Commissioning of artworks that result from a process of negotiation and consultation between artists and specific social groups within their host community;
- Facilitation of artworks that strike a balance between situation-specificity and gallery display;
- Promotion of a dialogue between realities that are usually separated by cultural, social, economic and/or geographical distances;
- Diversification of the life experience of artists so that a comprehensive experience of Australian culture, in its many forms, will be reflected in the contemporary arts.
IASKA will provide the following financial support in association with the project:
- Artist fee of $8,000-12,000 (dependent on the duration of the residency)
- Return airfare from anywhere in the world
- Production expenses of up to $5,000
- Freight allowance of $1,000
- A vehicle
- Internet and telecommunications access
- Onsite staff support (part-time)