The duality of real and virtual existence, seemingly, leans to its virtual side exponentially in this media era. Can an absence from the physical world resonate with the virtual presence, or vice-versa? Through an interdisciplinary perspective, SIGGRAPH Asia 2012 Art Gallery: Echo is seeking evidence of digital activities in the physical world and the impact of natural phenomena in cyberspace. Artistic and scientific explorations will “echo” between digital and analogue spaces and fabricate a hybrid model, in which, the duality merges into a uniformed and ubiquitous state. What are our perceptions and expressions of time and space in this model, then?
Explorations may include functional, structural, cultural, emotional, experiential or metaphorical approaches. All forms of digitally-mediated art works, especially kinetic and interactive ones, are highly encouraged. The gallery mainly considers, but is not limited to, the following topics:
- 2D and 3D artworks, such as digital prints paintings, and sculptures
- Interactive, electronically-mediated, mixed media performances
- Interactive installations, landscapes, art environments
- Web-based art, responsive media
- Time-based art work
- Artworks using digital communities, robotics, touch-screens, wearable art
- Artworks using digital audio
Submitted works will be reviewed by a jury, and selected works will be exhibited in a gallery space at SIGGRAPH Asia 2012 in Singapore.