Respublika! - Call for entries
The Respublika! concept
Organised by NeMe, CCMC, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and Upsala University, Respublika! is a one-week community media arts festival which will take place in Cyprus in 8 December 2017 – 16 December 2017. The festival will be simultaneously translated into an exhibition, which will run from 8 December 2017 – 12 January 2018, and will feed a series of seminars.
This multi-sited and multi-genre community media arts festival aims to tap into the creative reservoirs of community media organisations and their producers; their artists and collectives; and their community, social-oriented, cultural and artistic projects. The project will support the artists to use an artistic language with community media as a vehicle in order to:
- communicate their perspectives on media democracy and its participatory component,
- to represent the democratic‐participatory nature and identities of community media.
Preparatory workshops with the curator Nico Carpentier will be held at:
- 22.06.2017, 11:00-13:00 • Hoi Polloi, Arasta st, Nicosia
- 23.06.2017, 18:00-20:30 • CCMC, Markou Drakou st, Ledra Palace, Nicosia
- 24.06.2017, 18:30-20:30 • CUTing Edge, 45 Kitiou Kyprianou st, Limassol
Applications for participation is now open.
We welcome applications from artists that are affiliated, closely or peripherally, to community media and community media organisations in Cyprus, for artistic projects fit within the above-described remit of the festival. We welcome both site-specific artworks and non-site-specific artworks. The latter will be exhibited at the festival’s hub, the NeMe Arts Centre, as well as at a series additional locations.
It is important to note that we see Cypriot community media organisations as formal or informal organisations that have a clear communicative objective, that are not-for-profit and non-state, and committed to democracy and participation. Community media are artistic and democratic knowledge reservoirs, that provide the basis for a reflection on the role of media in democracy, how mainstream media often function as elite systems that protect a socio-cultural status quo, and how community media provide alternative models for democracy, based on participation and pluralism. Community media organisations are also experienced in organising participatory processes themselves, which makes them highly capable of producing community (media) arts projects.
We are aware that not all Cypriot community media organisations and groups, formal or informal, define themselves as community media organisations, even if they are as such. We are equally aware that not all people within community media organisations define their work as art, even though it often is, or can significantly encompass such a direction. This call is thus also an invitation to consider and re-consider the position of Cypriot organisations engaged in participatory communication, and the (potentially) artistic outcome of their work.
Interested community media affiliated artists can – as individuals or collectively – apply for participation by sending the following documents, in pdf format, to the festival secretariat, in electronic format at participate [aτ] respublikafest [doτ] org.
- Your resume/CV including name, address, phone number, website and e-mail address;
- A short note explaining your connection to one or more Cypriot community media organisations, formal or informal ones;
- Project statement (maximum 500 words);
- Documentation on earlier relevant projects (if any);
- Proposed location of the art project (in the festival’s hub, the NeMe Arts Centre, or in another location);
- Requested in-kind support and advice (from the festival organisers) and motivation for request.
The festival’s selection committee will select up to 10 artworks (or art projects) which will be incorporated in the festival. The selection committee will be composed of the curator, Nico Carpentier, together with one member delegated by each of the project partners.
The deadline for submissions is 30 June 2017.