New School: Call for Composers and Sound Artists
http://www.neme.org/blog/new-school-call-for-composers-and-sound-artistsComposers and sound artists are invited to submit original unpublished works to be presented in a concert held in conjunction with the Project Media Space | Public Space exhibition. The exhibition, hosted by The New School University&8217;s Department of Media Studies & Film (NYC), in cooperation with the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council (LMCC), features media works of 15 artists and artist collaboratives that engage with the issues central to the following question:
"How are public and semi-public spaces constructed, branded, inhabited, policed, mapped, deconstructed and theorized through the uses and filters of media?"
In order to relate to the exhibited pieces, the sound works should explore one or more of the following issues of public and private space: mediated commerce and control, diaspora and notions of home, cultural geographies, the uncanny, landscape and the environment, channels of flows of information, media blurring the division between public and private space, mobile media, the city as archive, nature and culture.
Genres can include (but are not limited to):
The concert will be held in the gallery space at 15 Nassau Street, New York, New York. May 12, 2006 at 7pm
If you wish to have your work considered, please provide the following information in the body of an email to GreyM593@newschool.edu in addition to a hard copy to be included with the submission:
- Short bio (75-100 words) and photo
- Title/duration/media/year created
- Short program note (100 words or less) or artist statement about how this piece relates to the theme of the exhibition
- State if this would be a live and/or premiere performance. If it is a live performance, please note that you must provide all necessary performers/equipment/instruments since this is a gallery space, not a concert hall. The LMCC and The New School University cannot be held liable for any equipment damage or loss.
- Contact information sheet must include a phone number, home address, and email address.
Please mail the recording:
- Recording of unpublished work on compact disc
- Maximum duration 10 minutes (Shorter works will have a better chance of being programmed)
If you would like to have your materials returned, please supply an SASE and the appropriate postage.
The concert will be curated by sound artist/audio engineer Jim Briggs and composer Melissa Grey.
Please mail submission to:
12 West 29th Street, second floor
New York, NY 10001
Deadline: April 5 (not postmarked)
Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
You will be contacted by April 10th