CALL for PAPERS
n.paradoxa publishes work by women writers, artists and curators which discusses the work of contemporary women artists (visual arts only) and its relationship to feminist theory. It has an open submission for every volume and no regular contributors.
A special feature of the journal are the artists pages, where artists are asked to produce a 2-6 page work, suitable for the print media. Suggestions for these are welcome.
n.paradoxa does not publish exhibition reviews, only in-depth articles which may be based on exhibitions or projects. Interviews are only commissioned for new work or a review of major projects by women artists.
If you have a proposal for an article, interview, feature or artists’ pages, please send an email with an outline of the idea, the artists, and the approach you wish to take for articles, interviews, features or projects.
Themes of the next two volumes for 2009:
- Activist art, volume 23, January 2009
- (copy deadline: 1 November 2008, to be published Jan. 2009)
- This is a call for papers by women writers, artists, curators tracing the differing forms of activism within feminist art practices from the 1970s to the present. Four decades of political activism and change in women’s position! Works which discuss the social and cultural politics of issue-based work and art projects which have linked feminist politics to art practices by women artists and have manifested themselves in collaborative exhibitions, internet0based projects, or through projects with specific communities of people, face-to-face or online, are welcomed.
- Material histories, volume 24, July 2009
- (Copy deadline: May 15 2009, to be published July 2009)
- The theme of this journal calls for any papers from women writers, artists or curators working on theories/histories of materials, historical materialism, alternative histories or marginal histories of feminist art practices. After 40 years, feminist art practices have a wide range of legacies and histories in different parts of the world and this volume – with international contributors – will reflect new approaches to histories of contemporary art. Dialectical and reflective approaches are welcome as are readings of the material/dematerialised/immaterial=virtual art objects produced by women artists.
Please send, well in advance of the copy deadline, an outline (1-2 paragraphs) and a short resume (1 page only). If you propose an article for the print volumes, please outline the relation of your proposal to the theme.
Deadline: 01/11/08, 15/05/09
international feminist art journal
Katy Deepwell, Editor of n.paradoxa
38 Bellot Street
SE10 0AQ London
phone: +44 (0) 208 858 3331