mal au pixel 2008
The Mal au Pixel festival further supports ongoing electronic art practices and research in the field of new media and technology. The festival presents experimental installations, audiovisual performances, practical workshops and public debates.
The third edition of the festival will focus on the theme of public space. The notion of public space as developed, in particular, by philosopher Jürgen Habermas during the sixties, encompasses all symbolic, physical and virtual dimensions of public space.
Our urban public space is increasingly taken over by technologies designed for enhancing communication mobility, for the information of citizens, for surveillance and control. While new perspectives for usage open up, the philosophical, political and cultural aspects of these new public spaces evolve and redefine the relations to the other, the freedom of expression and of circulation. And at the same time, the private sphere is increasingly under scrutiny, under siege and even exposed.
For this next edition of Mal au Pixel, we would like to investigate, for example, the question of online public space and virtual communities, interactive installations in the urban space, mobile infrastructures and new cartographies.
We are currently looking for both finalized projects as well as concepts/prototypes and we encourage people from all disciplines to participate and send us proposals. Artists, researchers, architects, designers, activists, musicians, performers, engineers, VJs, etc., you are all welcome!
We will also support site-specific projects by granting artistic residencies and providing other production resources.
- the Mal au Pixel staff apologizes in advance for not being able to send feed-back to all the applicants individually. Please also note that submission material will, in principle, NOT be returned.
- Submissions sent to previous Mal au Pixel calls are still valid and can be updated as necessary.
- Please fill in the submission form www.malaupixel.org
- The deadline for sending in applications is November 1st, 2007.
- Submission can be sent either by email to submissions2007[at]pixelache.ac or by regular post:
- Festival Mal au Pixel
1, rue Charles-Garnier
- Festival Mal au Pixel
Selection of photos can be found on http://www.flickr.com/photos/8080319@N05/