lab for culture - curatorial proposals
CALL FOR CURATORIAL PROPOSALS
LabforCulture.org is the essential online tool for everyone involved in arts and culture who creates, collaborates, shares and produces across borders in Europe. This interactive web platform was launched in 2006 to encourage dialogue, networking and collaboration across physical, cultural and imaginative borders across 48 countries in the broader Europe. Initiated by the European Cultural Foundation (ECF) and jointly developed and supported by many of Europe&8217;s leading cultural organisations, LabforCulture offers a wealth of essential information, debate and research – including all the latest news, vital funding tips, blogs and a vast searchable database of cultural organisations operating from Rome to Reykjavík.
LabforCulture.org will celebrate its first anniversary in the summer of 2007 and in this context we are pleased to announce a call for an experienced media art curator or curatorial collaboration to conceptualise and manage an online presentation of specially commissioned artworks, for presentation in early 2008.
Call for proposals
This is an open call to Europe-based curators to propose a creative concept for the LabforCulture anniversary project, be responsible for the ultimate selection of artworks and critically reflect on the project throughout its duration and after its end. The concept and commissioned artworks should address, challenge and rethink issues such as cross border dialogue, cultural intersections, crossings or networks, in the context of LabforCulture and cultural cooperation in the broader Europe. The curatorial proposal will contextualise and document the work in relation to the scope, content and technological framework of LabforCulture.org.
The selected curator/s should:
- have demonstrated experience in either curating Net Art and/or artists who use the internet as integral to their practice.
- have a curatorial track record in the field of media art
- have demonstrated cultural project management experience
- demonstrate their ability to write about and critically evaluate the presented works
The curator/s will be contracted by the European Cultural Foundation on a freelance basis for the period of August 1, 2007 to May 15, 2008, and will receive a fee of 7000 Euro (excluding 2 required trips to Amsterdam for work with the LabforCulture team, but including any additional travel required to deliver the proposed project, to be discussed with the LabforCulture Director). In addition to the fee, a fixed commissions and documentation budget will be provided.
- design a concept and thematic framework for the project
- make the final selection of artists
- maintain an appropriate timeline for agreed outputs
- be the main contact person for the commissioned artists (LabforCulture will be responsible for the administration of the project in terms of contracts, payments and overall coordination of the project)
- manage the agreed commissions and documentation budget, which will be overseen and administrated by LabforCulture
- write an engaging curatorial statement to be published on LabforCulture in November 2007 and a subsequent series of texts to accompany the presentations in 2008, introducing and reflecting on the selected artists/artworks
- be available to travel to Amsterdam as required, to meet with LabforCulture staff over the course of the project
- work in close collaboration with the LabforCulture team in relation to the technical framework and requirements of the commissioned artworks
- work with the LabforCulture team to agree and implement an appropriate page/section for the project that integrates with the current website design and branding
- work with the LabforCulture Communications team to promote the project and be available for press interviews
- gather and prepare documentation about the commissioned artists and artworks for presentation on LabforCulture.org
- ensure appropriate documentation of the project is undertaken and after its end, reflect on the process, challenges and experience of the project in a final text/public discussion forum.
Annet Dekker (Head of Exhibitions and Artlab, Netherlands Media Art Institute, Amsterdam, NL) and Kelli Dipple (Webcasting Curator, Tate, London, UK) will join the LabforCulture content development team to select the curatorial proposal.
Interested curators are asked to submit the following material BY EMAIL ONLY no later than July 1, 2007:
- Cover letter
- Curator’s CV
- Proposed title for the project
- Curatorial concept
- Examples of artists and/or artworks that demonstrate the curatorial concept 6. A proposed timeline for associated landmarks and outputs 7. An estimated budget with preliminary allocations for commissioned work, associated travel and documentation activities (broad areas of expenditure only)
Proposals should be sent to the attention of: