А Time for Dreams
The Moscow International Biennale for Young Art, one of the largest and most ambitious projects in the field of contemporary art, will be take place this summer for the fourth time. The Biennale combines the creative initiatives of artists of the new generation from Russia and abroad. Leading Moscow museums and centers of contemporary art, in collaboration with regional and foreign partners, have participated in the preparations for this event.
The project attracts the steady attention of critics, curators and other representatives of professional society and a wide section of the public; all who are not indifferent to the future of art.
One of the main tasks of the Biennale is to discover new young artists. The project presents an opportunity to the new generation to create links and set up creative partnerships within the professional art scene. The Biennale provides a space to demonstrate the relevant strategies of the new generation of artists and curators.
This year the main curator of the project will be David Elliott, curator, author and museum consultant. From 1979 to 1996 he was the head of the Museum of Modern Art in Oxford (England), and then the museum of Modern Art in Stockholm (Sweden). Between 1996 and 2001 David Elliott was the founder and director of the Mori Museum of Art in Tokyo (Japan), from 2001-2006 Elliot was the first director of the Istanbul Museum of Modern Art (Turkey). In 2007 he became the main curator of the Sydney Biennale (Australia). In 2008 he took up the position of professor of art history at the Humboldt University of Berlin (Germany). He was then invited to be the main curator of the First International Biennale of Contemporary Art in Kiev (Ukraine), from 2011 to 2012 he worked as a consultant in the Centre for Contemporary Arts CPS Project in Hong Kong, and since 2008 he has been a visiting professor of museum studies at the Chinese University in Hong Kong.
David Elliott chose the title of the IV Moscow International Biennale for Young Art “A Time for Dreams» by rephrasing the famous “I have a dream” speech by Martin Luther King. With this title the curator emphasizes the chronic instability of our time and the acute need for the young generation to have dreams, hopes and opportunities, to not blindly go with the flow but to invest their strength into the perfection of the world.
The main project of the Biennale in 2014 will be presented in the Museum of Moscow. The educational programs of the Biennale will also be organized in collaboration with the museum.
Institutions are invited to collaborate and young artists and curators to participate.
Terms and conditions of proposal submission
The call for applications for Biennale is open to Russian and foreign artists of new generation working in contemporary art using the latest strategies, concepts and technologies (works can be submitted: individual, collective or as part of curatorial project).
The new generation artists are considered those whose age at the time of Biennale opening does not exceed 35 years.
Applications for curator&8217;s projects are accepted only from organizations on the condition of guarantied exposition space and financial support.
The call for applications is open for the authors of projects (artists and curators if curatorial project is applied).
The submission of applications is free. No authors&8217; and curators&8217; royalties are to be paid. Copyright remains with the authors. Production and exhibition budget are not guaranteed by the organizers of Biennale.
When applying for Biennale the author tacitly accepts all terms and conditions specified in the application.
Both executed and exhibited projects as well as unrealized being in a stage of detailed outline can be submitted to Biennale. There are no restrictions on the number of work, type, genre and techniques.
The curator / curatorial team reviews all the applications and selects participants for Biennale.
- When an individual project of the artist is submitted, an application for an individual art project must be completed.
- When a collective project of artists is submitted, an application for an art project indicating information on each participant of the group must be completed.
- When one artist or one artistic group submits several projects, he/she completes a separate application for each proposed project.
- When curatorial project is submitted, an application for the curatorial project must be completed; separate form for each part (each artistic work) of the project must be enclosed.
- All fields except middle name and nickname of the artist are required.
- Basic information must be additionally submitted in English.
- Only one e-mail address must be entered in the “e-mail” field
- At least one image (photo or sketch) of the artwork / project must be uploaded.
- A portrait photo of each artist participating in the project must be submitted
- All uploading images must be of sufficient quality for publication (resolution is strictly no less than 300dpi, minimum size of 10×15 cm.) The uploading images must be JPEG, GIF or PNG. The size of each file must not exceed 3 MB.
- Uploading videos is not possible, but you must include links to hosted online video samples or fragments of the video in the “technical description of the project”.
- To add information about the author of the project – click on “Add Author”. To add another author – click on “Add Author” again. Any information about the author of the project can be changed by clicking on its name in the application form.
- If the application is not completed and you press the button “Apply” you will get an error message and the application will not be sent. For your convenience you can save the unfinished application, you just need to press the “Save” button. It is possible to open a saved application and complete it at a later date.
- All saved applications you can see in your personal account. Pay attention to the status of your application – only applications marked as “Application is submitted” will be accepted for consideration.
- Review carefully all the terms and conditions of the application indicated in the bottom of the form and check the relevant box.