SPECIAL ISSUE on Visualization Aesthetics, Criticism, and Design Int’l Journal of Creative Interfaces & Computer Graphics (IJCICG)
Guest Editor: A. Ursyn, University of Northern Colorado
The International Journal of Creative Interfaces and Computer Graphics (IJCICG) is currently accepting submissions: research papers (between 5,500 to 8,000 words in length), position papers, state-of-art surveys, book reviews of new publications pertaining to the journal’s theme (1,500-2,500-word), and event reports that describe and discuss recent conferences or workshops for a special issue on Visualization Aesthetics, Criticism, and Design. Preference is placed on submissions that incorporate scholarly work or specific themes within the area of Visualization Aesthetics, Criticism, and Design.
OBJECTIVE OF THE SPECIAL ISSUE
The objective of the issue is to focus on ñ and draw attention to – two fields which are currently active and growing: Visualization Aesthetics and Criticism (how information aesthetics influence technical implementations and their usability) and Design Visualization. The theme for the special issue will be focused on the use of metaphors (conceptual, natural, visual, and auditory metaphors) both in visualization and digital art.
Topics to be discussed in this special issue include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Visual explanations, and data visualization
- Meaning visualization
- Artist’s approach to meaning visualization, conveying insights about complex concepts
- Challenge and aesthetic quality in visualization art – digital art as metaphor
- Aesthetic elements and primitives in visualizations
- Approaches to visualization: iconic messages, use of symbols, metaphors, cognitive, abstract thinking and problem finding
- Art and visualization of spatial, tonal, and†temporal domains, application of interactive art
- Selecting optimal visualization tools for non-linear, visually storytelling, interactive, virtual, intelligent presentations, gaming, and other solutions
- Novel visual, interaction-rich metaphors used for visualization or practical data mining
- Societal impact and evaluation of novel visualization and data mining solutions
- Information aesthetics, visualization aesthetics
- Effects of visualization aesthetics on efficiency and usability of information visualization
- Aesthetics of infographics
- Visualizations for learning and teaching
- Aesthetic computing
- Visual computing
- Information technology (IT) in visualization,†visualization for instruction with IT
- Criticism, perception in the field, classification
- History of data-, information-, knowledge-visualization, and data mining
Researchers and practitioners are invited to submit papers for this Special Issue on Visualization Aesthetics, Criticism, and Design on or before July 1, 2010. All submissions must be original and may not be under review by another publication.
All submitted papers will be reviewed in double-blind fashion.
Papers must follow the APA style for reference citations and Microsoft Word is the preferred format.
The submission deadline is July 1, 2010. However, long abstracts or proposals may be emailed to the Guest Editor who will offer feedback as to whether the proposed manuscript would be appropriate for the issue. Approval of an abstract or proposal does not constitute acceptance as all submitted papers will be put through the double-blind peer review process.
All submissions should be directed to the attention of:
Anna Ursyn, Guest Editor
Int’l Journal of Creative Interfaces and Computer Graphics (IJCICG)
ABOUT The International Journal of Creative Interfaces and Computer Graphics (IJCICG):
The International Journal of Creative Interfaces and Computer Graphics (IJCICG) provides coverage of the most innovative and cutting-edge computer graphics and interfaces. IJCICG focuses on the latest visual technologies that raise the bar for novelty, aesthetic beauty, sophistication, and utility. This scholarly resource encompasses the pragmatic and research aspects surrounding the design and creation of effective, novel, visual interfaces in support of creativity and productivity. This journal presents research that shows new ways of representing and interacting with information on desktops, mobile devices, and public and virtual spaces.
This Journal is Availablein the Comprehensive InfoSci-Journals Database. International Journal of Creative Interfaces and Computer Graphics (IJCICG) This journal is an official publication of the Information Resources Management Association
Editor-in-Chief: Ben Falchuk, Ph.D.
Published: Semi-Annually (both in Print and Electronic form)
The International Journal of Creative Interfaces and Computer Graphics (IJCICG) is published by IGI Global (formerly Idea Group Inc.), publisher of the ìInformation Science Referenceî (formerly Idea Group Reference), ìMedical Information Science Referenceî, ìBusiness Science Referenceî, and ìEngineering Science Referenceî imprints.