DAC - 2009
EXHIBITION PROPOSALS – DUMBO ARTS CENTER (DAC) , Brooklyn, New York
DUMBO ARTS CENTER (DAC) is a 501 © (3) non-profit contemporary arts organization located in Dumbo, Brooklyn, New York. DAC’s mission is to catalyze interaction between visual artists, the local community and the wider public, in order to preserve the neighbourhood of Dumbo as a springboard for new art. DAC produces the annual multi-site D.U.M.B.O. Art Under the Bridge Festival ®, presents a year-round program of new exhibitions in its gallery, commissions site-specific art and provides educational programs for artists and high school students.
2009 OPEN CALL FOR EXHIBITION PROPOSALS
DAC invites artists or curators (individuals or groups) from all levels of experience to submit exhibition proposals for realization in its gallery space in 2010. The 3,000 sq. ft. space is located at 30 Washington Street. Built in 1887, the site was the first of many factories to be built along the East River Waterfront between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges by cardboard box manufacturer, Robert Gair in the late 19th Century.
DAC is particularly interested in proposals, which harness and interpret the space’s unique physical, spatial, historical, or psychological potential and which take an innovative, experimental approach to site-specific or site-responsive exhibition making.
Proposals must be original and conceived for the DAC space i.e. may not have been realized in any other venue.
Proposed exhibitions can be solo, two-person, or group and are open to all visual arts media.
DAC implements a two-round process in its open call:
- ROUND I: requires the submission of a written statement ONLY. Whether the applicant is an artist or a curator, an exhibition must ultimately be communicated effectively to the media and public in addition to the art on display. A public talk by the curator during the show’s run will be mandatory. The ability to articulate and convey an idea in writing is therefore essential for DAC to evaluate the feasibility and sound intellectual premise of a proposal.
- ROUND II: DAC will select a shortlist of proposals from ROUND I and invite applicants to submit supporting visual material and resumes etc.
A final decision will be made on the basis of the material submitted in both rounds and applicants will be notified. Please note that due to the volume of work and a skeleton staff, DAC will only contact applicants whose proposals are of interest.
- For ROUND I, proposals should not exceed 2,000 words, must include name(s) of applicant, contact information and if applicable at the time of writing, a list of artists.
- All interested applicants are required to visit the physical gallery space and pick-up a gallery floor plan from the front desk or download from our website
- Proposals must be e-mailed to email@example.com no later than April 1, 2009.
- Subject line: Exhibition Proposal 2009. Do not include attachments or support material.
Dumbo Arts Center (DAC)
30 Washington Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Gallery Telephone: 718-694-0831