Courtisane festival 10
Festival of film, video and new media
Call for entry: film, video, installation, performance, …
As a festival and platform to showcase film, video and new media, Courtisane makes a resolute choice for adventure and reflection. Courtisane’s programmation constitutes a kaleidoscopic mosaic of styles, media, gestures and emotions that share an insatiable hunger for experimentation, a personal signature, and a sense of resistance. Courtisane has been organizing a yearly festival since 2002.
Courtisane intends to stimulate the public exhibition of films and videos that are neither distributed nor exhibited within Belgium’s traditional circuits.
Courtisane organises a competition of recent international and national film and video work. The programme of the Courtisane festival also includes various special events and programmes : Artist in Focus screenings, specially curated thematic programmes, a screening of artists’ films and videos for children, live performances…
The present call for entries concerns only the competition programme.
- All films and videos submitted must have been completed on or after 1 January 2009.
- Artists must maintain final edit and copyright control.
- Only single-channel works may be submitted to the competition programme.
- Courtisane presents and supports the work of film, video and media artists independently of genres, formats, and length. We are interested in screening films and videos, in any category, that have an inventive, aesthetically unconventional approach in terms of form, content, story and structure.
- Student works are also eligible and have often been included in the festival programme in the past.
- Courtisane does not pay screening fees for the films and videos selected in the international and national competitions.
- Belgium premieres are preferred, but are not mandatory.
- The Festival may, in exceptional circumstances decide to select films that do not fulfil one or more of these criteria. Such selection is at the discretion of the festival organisers.
As a non-profit festival the Courtisane festival does not charge an entry fee.
Submission deadline: 31 December 2010.
Entry forms must be completed online.
The applicant is requested to send to the Courtisane office:
- One DVD of the work mentioning : entry number, title, running time and director name
- The printed confirmation of the online submission
- The filmmaker’s CV
Selected films will be screened in their original version. In principle, if not with English dialogues, films must be subtitled in English.
Juries and Awards
The Jury will be composed of three renowned personalities from the world of the audiovisual arts, from Belgium and abroad. The Jury is responsible for allocating the National and International awards. The jury may decide to attribute Honourable Mentions if they wish. Individuals directly connected with the production, exhibition or distribution of films presented in the International Competition may not sit on the Jury.
Submissions for preview should be made on DVD (PAL or NTSC).
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee to be able to preview Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Film formats and video systems that can be presented during the Festival are: 35mm, 16mm, HDV, Betacam SP (PAL), Digital Betacam (PAL), DVcam (PAL or NTSC) and mini DV (PAL or NTSC).
Catalogue and website
Upon selection, all filmmakers and artists are requested to provide Courtisane with a still image and a synopsis for the festival catalogue. Catalogue writings are entirely at the discretion of the Festival. Still images may be used in the website and festival catalogue, as well as for publicity purposes.
Campus Bijloke, J. Kluyskensstraat 2
phone: +32 (0)474 278 121