8th European Animated Film Festival Balkanima 2011
The main goal of the festival is to promote the art of animation of South-Eastern European countries and to enable the younger generations of today to create conditions that will enable them to fit into the world trends of animated films by means of conquering new technologies.
Festival comprises two competition programmes:
- Competition of authors films competing in one of 5 categories and
- Students Competition – film schools and single student authors.
Non-competitive programmes includes panorama screenings, portraits of animation masters, retrospectives of national and international cinematographies, presenting new styles and technologies, special programmes:“Best Of”, “Bridges”, etc.
Festival also includes a special programme which presents the winner of The Special Award granted to the artist whose work has a significant contribution to the art of animation in the region of South-Eastern Europe.
Only animated films / works of European production not longer than 30 minutes will be accepted (using classical »frame by frame« or computer animation tecniqiues or combining live action and animation…).
Works completed after the AUGUST 1st 2009 will be considered eligible.
Works coming from Non European Countries cannot be accepted for competition, but can be screened at the festival if choosed by The Pre Selection Committee.
One author can submit more than one film according to festival rules.
There is no entry fee.
ENTRIES AND REGISTRATION
The participants can apply in one of two competition programmes:
- Competition of authors films
- Student Competition.
The Authors Competition Program is divided into following categories:
- Up to 5 minutes,
- More than 5 minutes up to 30 minutes,
- Experimental films,
- Commercials – music videos
- Films for children.
Student Competition Programme has two categories:
- Best Student Film
- Best Program Of Film Schools.
Participants must clearly state in the Entry Form in which category they apply.
For Pre-Selection films can be sent in DVD format (PAL).
The ENTRY FORM – downloaded from the festival website fill as accurately as possible in print letters and sign.
The Entry Form must be sent together with:
- copy of the film for Pre-Selection,
- two or more stills from the film,
- film synopsis (no more than 500 characters)
- photo of the author,
- brief biography of the author and filmography.
send it also to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Films selected for competition will be accepted in a following formats:
- Bly-ray Disc
- Beta SP
- DV cam
- 35 mm
Copies of films chosen for screenings must be sent before September 25th 2011.
THE SPECIAL MENTION which Festival council grants to the author whose work has a significant contribution to development of animation in the region of Balkans and South Eastern Europe.
The Official Festival Awards are granted by International Jury. All the awards must be granted.
Awards granted by The International Jury for Competition of professional / authors films
- GRAND PRIX of the festival prize “NEW BELGRADE” granted by Municipality of New Belgrade
- Prize of the festival for the Best Film from South-Eastern Europe
- Prize of the festival for the Best Film with ecological topic granted by Department for patronage of environment City of Belgrade
- Five Special Mentions for a film in each category
The Student Competition Jury grants:
- Prize of the festival for the Best Film School for selection of films
- Prize of the festival for the Best Student Film
Both – Professionals and Students, compete for the GRAND PRIX award.
The International Jury is free to award 4 special diplomas by their own choice for the quality of the film in the field of animation, background, music, graphic style, script, characters in the film, for specific genre (mythology, ecology, social problems, fantasy, erotic, etc).
Film Institutions, Organizations and Academies are also free to grant their own prizes. They must announce the constitution of the Jury, also purpose and form of the prize.
The Audience Award will also be granted.
All films needs to have English subtitles, except if spoken language of film is not English.