Athens Biennale open call for applications
European Biennial Network: Biennial Exchange and Residency Programme
Residency position requirements: The scope of the residency must relate to researching the Athens contemporary art scene.
The resident will be required to follow a demanding programme, which will include studio visits, conversations with artists, curators, critics and academics, collectors, museum directors, and other art professionals, as well as visits to exhibitions and portfolio examinations. He/she will also be expected to fully engage with the local scene, acquiring an expertise in local artists that may be used in future projects. He/she will also be required to give lectures about former and current projects, participate in seminars with various partners of the Athens Biennale.
The term of the residency coincides with final preparations and the opening the 2nd Athens Biennale 2009 HEAVEN, which will offer the resident a unique ‘insiders look’, as well as the opportunity to experience the city at a most vivid period for contemporary art.
This application is open to all curators, whether permanently employed at an institution or independent.
Applications must be made for the specific residency position. The successful applicant will be selected by the Athens Biennale. (Please see Application Guidelines below.)
The successful applicant will be offered travel to and from their host city and accommodation, as well as a stipend of 1.000 euros per month. Additional funds for equipment and/or transport of work may be available, depending on the specifics of the residency.
Upon completion of the residency, the resident will be required to produce a text, outlining the basic parameters of his/her research, which will be used for publication by the European Biennial Network.
- Applications must be made by cv and a letter of interest (max. 500 words). There is no special application form.
- In the letter of interest, the applicant must clearly outline how he/she intends to respond to the requirements of the position.
- Applicants may be requested to provide further clarifications and/or additional material, during the selection process. This will not constitute any indication as to the success of the application.
- Generic applications, or ones not clearly relating to the requirements of the position, will not be accepted.
- Applications must be in English.
- Although the Athens Biennale will be selecting the successful applicant, applications must not be sent directly to the Athens Biennale. Any such applications will not be accepted. Applications must be sent by e-mail only (attached as word or pdf documents) to the European Biennial Network: email@example.com.
- The successful applicant will be notified by the Athens Biennale, after 15th March 2009.
- Only the successful applicant will be notified. We regret that due to the volume of applications expected, we cannot individually reply to each applicant.
Deadline: 28/02/09 – inclusive
European Biennial Network, c/o Athens Biennial
Biennial Exchange and Residency Programme
8, Acharnon street
GR-104 32 Athens