The artist call will be launched at CINEMA PLANETA, Cuernavaca, Mexico, from March 11-19, 2011. It will be posted on our organizations’ websites, and disseminated through social and cultural networks. Artists from all over the world are invited to participate, in particular from areas that are most severely affected by climate change like Asia and Africa. We also hope to attract a wide diversity of artistic approaches.
The ARTPORT_making waves directors will pre-select 40 finalists, which will then be presented to an international jury of art professionals to choose the 20 finalists and the final winner. The compilation will be premiered during ART BASEL 2011, where the final winner will also be announced.
- Mahen Bonetti, Founder & Director, African Film Festival, Inc., New York
- Fredi Casco, artist/editor/curator, Adviser Visual Arts Cultural Ministry Paraguay. Asunción, Paraguay
- Isa Cucinotta, Programming Associate at Film Society of Lincoln Center. New York
- Javier Duero, Art Critic and Curator. Madrid, Spain
- Alicia Marván, Programme Director, Guapamacátaro Arts & Ecology Residency, Mexico
- Macu Morán, Director VideoArtWorld
- Lyle Rexer, Curator and Critic, New York
- Dr. Sabine Maria Schmidt, Curator Folkwang Museum. Essen, Germany
- Kathleen Bühler, Curator Contemporary Art, Kunstmuseum Bern, Switzerland
The winner will be awarded an artist residency of 3 weeks in the artist residency Guapamacátaro in Michoacán, Mexico in May/June 2012. ARTPORT_making waves collaborates with international residency programs in order to foment the exchange of artistic ideas and promote intercultural understanding.
- FORMAT: quicktime or flash. We are looking for diversity of media (i.e. vector or pixel animation, hand drawn cell animation, computer character animations, macromedia flash (SWF) animation for the web, animated gif, video or digital film, super 8, photo stories, clay tools animations, with or without sound, etc.)
- LENGTH: between 15 seconds and 3 minutes
DO NOT SEND ANY MATERIAL, ONLY A LINK TO THE SITE WHERE YOU PUBLISH YOUR VIDEO.
Only the 20 selected artists will be asked to submit original works that will be edited for the final compilation of COOL STORIES FOR WHEN THE PLANET GETS HOT III .
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- One submission only per artist/ artist group. Collaborations are welcome.
- Please do not submit work that is older than 3 years.
- Please do not send any material for the pre-selection-we will not return it.
- The 20 winners to show their work during ART BASEL 2011 will be notified immediately by e-mail and will be responsible to submit their work in a suitable format by Friday, May 16, 2011 (details will be communicated to the finalists).
- By participating in this contest you fully accept these terms and conditions and agree that if you are among the 20 selected artists, ARTPORT_making waves may show your work during ART BASEL from June 15-19, 2011, at a venue in Basel, Switzerland to be announced; post it on its website; show it at international art events and festivals through June 30, 2013; and use it in any of its communications and promotional material.
- Entry fee of US$30 or €20