Artcity Festival is a celebration of contemporary visual art, architecture and design, held every September in Calgary, Canada. Artcity opens possibilities for conversations, debates and realizations about how and what artists, architects and designers do and how they see and shape the world around us. In 2005, Artcity Festival will explore the ideas and concepts associated with the term “Trans”. The Visual Arts Programming Committee invites submissions for artworks which comply with this year’s theme TRANS.
The prefi x TRANS- stands among and alongside variant meanings; the word fragment completes ideas, but often ideas without closure or fi xity: it creates becomingwords. The words that contain TRANS communicate a relationship, or a process of being inbetween (TRANSport, TRANSgress, TRANSaction, TRANSsexual). It is in this spirit that our visual arts exhibition will be held this year. We are interested in exploring the various ways in which TRANS can be used to describe the changing landscape of Calgary, as we celebrate Alberta’s centennial.
Artists may apply to one or all of the following:
- Site-specifi c works throughout the city’s downtown core. Work that references the theme TRANS and the urban architecture of the city. Sites and locations include, but are not limited to, storefronts, rooftops, billboards, alleyways, side of buildings, bus stops, sidewalks, train stations, elevators, lamp posts, +15 systems, etc.
- Three Architectural Peepshow Pavilions. One piece of artwork per pavilion.
- (I) The Water Pavilion- 8’ × 8’ × 16’ glass box that sits just above the water in the Olympic Plaza fountain. Please keep in mind works may be in contact with water. An additional production fee of $1000 will be awarded to supplement the cost of this work.
- Video/Film Shorts dealing with the theme TRANS. Shorts should be under 15 minutes in length. NTSC format, local, regional, national and international submissions welcome.
- The Art Central Special Site. Art Central invites works dealing with the theme TRANS for an installation work for 24’ × 20’ cross beams beneath a skylight above a three story atrium. A production fee of $1000 will be awarded by Art Central to supplement the cost of works at this site.
All media will be considered, including time-based work such as video/film, audio and performance art. Emerging artists are encouraged to submit. Exhibiting artists will be paid at minimum CARFAC rates for a regional, non-touring, group exhibition.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTRY
Please include the following in your submission:
Submissions must include
- Curriculum vitae
- Artist’s statement
- Proposed work
- Proposed site/venue requirements
- 10-20 slides and/or other relevant support material
- Special technical/installation requirements
- A self-addressed stamped envelope
Video/ Film Submissions
- VHS or DVD preview copy
- Curriculum vitae
- Title/length/date/country of production
- Brief description or synopsis of video/film
- List of previous screenings of submitted work (if applicable)
- Exhibition format/requirements
- Self-addressed, stamped envelope
SUBMIT ENTRIES TO
Visual Arts Exhibition
c/o Karilynn Ming Ho
#200, 137 – 8th Avenue SW
Calgary AB T2P 1B4