7th Mercosul Biennial
The 7th Mercosul Biennial is already under construction. The exhibitions are due to take place in Porto Alegre from September to November 2009, but organisation of many activities will start soon, such as the Education Programme of actions with schools, teachers and students, open public lectures, debate cycles and meetings with young artists. These actions been conceived to involve the public in a continuous process of access and dialogue, allowing the Biennial to make positive contributions to the community which grow with each edition.
The significant improvements implemented during the sixth edition, which took place in 2007, were the result of a long route of evolution, travelled during the first five Biennials. The Mercosul Biennial today is recognized as the biggest collection of events devoted to Latin American art in the world.
In the belief that this route imposes new challenges for its administration, the Mercosul Biennial is outlining its targets for the seventh edition based on the following guiding principles.
- A focus on the social contribution, in pursuit of real benefits for its audiences partners and supporters;
- A continuous proximity with contemporary art creation and its critical discourse;
- Transparency in administration and all its actions;
- Priority on investments in education; and,
- The establishment of the Biennial as a reference in the field of art, education and related research.
This continuing project of renewal and expansion involves huge investments, whose results are not confined to the present but will also be noticed in the future.
The chief curators for this exhibition are the Argentinian Victoria Noorthoorn and the Chilean Camilo Yáñez. The joint proposal was chosen after an international open selection process which received 67 proposals for evaluation.