The International Film Festival TOFIFEST is a festival that stands out from others, because of its originality and rebellious nature.
The trends in the development of the festival are shaped not only by the frantic rush of cinematography, but also by the creative chaos raging in the heads of artists, their creativity and the joy of creation. Yet one aspect has remained unchanged for so many years: the “innate” lack of any pomposity.
And how does TOFIFEST manifest its rebellious nature? Well, it is seen in each element of its functioning. It is a keyword that opens (and contains) the entire diversity of the festival’s programme, the functioning of the event in space, and even its visual identification.
This rebellious nature is the ideological backbone of the Festival. It is also the courage to present the work of unconventional authors, still unknown cinematographies, as well as a surprising combining of various essences of cinematography, in the festival’s programme. It is precisely this magnetising and creative unrest that we owe the uniqueness of our festival to.
We also say: “No” to the machine-made festivals. We want to “touch” the cinema with our own hands. That’s why TOFIFEST is a “handmade festival” – from A to Z. It is a festival without red carpets and an avalanche of camera flashes. It can charmingly and professionally measure doses of the cinema’s aroma, and can also be naturally nonchalant, providing unforgettable thrills, both for the notable guests and the audience themselves, among the scent of fresh oranges.
TOFIFEST is a festival of fascinating films, long discussions, making friends and unconventional education. It is a festival that opens the horizons of cinema to all – not just to the chosen few.
It is a festival of cinema eaters who take part in our festival feast. So chew Tofi!
ON AIR. International Competition
ON AIR. International Competition is the main section of the festival.
Every year this competition gathers some of the most important new films chosen from regular applications and selected from those screened at the most significant festivals in the world, including Rotterdam, Berlin, Cannes, as well as our partner festivals. This is the first time the competition is going to put directors’ first and second films ON AIR, literally and metaphorically. What all the films selected for the competition share is provoking with the freshness of image and spreading of intellectual ferment.
SHORTCUT. Short Film Competition
International Short Film Competition is a section whose charm lies in continual insufficiency.
This year, apart from feature short films and animations, the competition is open for documentaries and experimental films as well. Short films are frequently the first step in careers of young talents; a breeding ground for film artists playing with their ideas and producing their little but significant works. Thus, this large section dedicated to little forms is going to include the best 25 short films from all over the world.
FROM POLAND. Polish Competition
As in the horn of plenty, Polish Competition has gathered a lot of excellent films. Although most of them have already been presented in our cinemas, it is never enough of good cinema. This year’s competition comprises the presentation of 12 films and meetings with their authors, sometimes in unusual atmosphere.
As usually, the audience is going to vote for their favourite Polish film and the winner is going to receive the Audience Award.
Every apprentice has a master and every master once used to be an apprentice having his own master. The story as old as the hills.
Each year in this section the festival presents great figures of world cinema, showing the mastery of their artistic heritage, secrets of their development as filmmakers, its twists and crucial moments that changed the history of the 10th muse.
The aim of FOCUS is to concentrate on a person, people, to reflect brilliance and timelessness of a young talent or talents. This section presents the most talented personalities of cinema, actors, actresses, directors, whose talent is recognized as outstanding on the international level.
National Retrospectives are a mixture of artistic treat and a journey to unknown regions of the world and their culture. This section is one of the central and regular positions of the festival, showing new, undiscovered national cinemas, which triumph at international festivals. In Poland TOFIFEST is the first to discover them, as it was with the discovery of Turkish, Armenian and Austrian cinema , Chinese , or Swiss and Kosovar one  and many more.
This section presents films which set or have set new trends in the art of filmmaking, which have influenced the present in a revolutionary way, which have broken tendentiousness and fixed frameworks with the very fact of their existence. Even if they have not been claimed cult films yet, they will.
If you found amber in the Baltic Sea or gold in the Wild West the other day, you were lucky. Today you are lucky if you find time for art, namely CINEMA. Thus, we are trying to help all the busy people to do their homework.
This section presents 10 of the best films of the last season, which should be put by those busy people on their lists. There is going to be a contest for active members of the forum. More information soon.
This section has been an immanent part of the festival since the very beginning. Presentation and promotion of local artists is one of the main goals of TOFIFEST. Each year LOCALIZATIONS show selected local and regional filmmakers, help to activate film community and promote it abroad. This is both a festival section and permanent artistic activity. Activation of artistic communities and the only regional film blog in Poland promoting filmmakers, who were born here or work locally, is a unique initiative encapsulating culture-forming, social and environmental ideas.
Unconventional, creative section for children and youth. The programme of the only visionary film education in Poland was prepared in cooperation with the Sztuka Cię Szuka association from Toruń. Apart from films for youngsters, it also includes a series of stationary and travelling workshops.
- ON AIR: Grand Prix – Golden Angel.
- The award for the best film of the international feature film competition ON AIR. The prize of 20 000 PLN was founded by the Marshal of Kujawsko-Pomorskie Voivodeship Piotr Całbecki. Golden Angel Award refers to the symbol of Toruń.
- ON AIR: Golden Angel
- The award for the best director taking part in the competition. The prize was founded by Agnieszka Odorowicz, General Director of the Polish Film Institute. The prize amounts to 20 000 PLN.
- SHORTCUT: Grand Prix – Golden Angel
- For the best short film of the international short film competition, founded by Bogdan Zdrojewski, the Minister of Culture and National Heritage. The prize is 15 000 PLN.
- FROM POLAND: Golden Angel (Audience Award)
- The award for the best Polish film. The prize is 2 000 PLN.
- LOCALIZATIONS: Golden Angel
- award for film artist coming associated with Kujawsko-Pomorskie region
- The founder is Michał Zaleski, President of Toruń. This is the oldest regional film award in Poland. It was established at the first edition of TOFIFEST as an important element of cinema promotion in Kujawsko-Pomorskie region.
- Award for artistic insolence intended for outstanding figures of European cinema
- This award is granted to an outstanding filmmaker – director, actor, or cameraman, whose artistic path proves his or her inner rebel and insolence.
- Award for the most promising European film artist
- An award for young artist whos short career improved his talent.
- Zygmunt Kałużyński audience award
- Unique award bearing the name of the most unusual and controversial Polish critic. According to his heirs’ will, this award goes to filmmakers who managed to create an exceptionally fascinating scene. Those, who were able to “touch the Absolute, at least for a moment”. The interpretation of “touching the Absolute” is left to the Audience.
- Floristic services
- Comprehensive floristic services – including the beautiful bouquets for the laureates of the 11th International Film Festival Tofifest – are provided by Florist “Anna” (ul. Prosta 7, Toruń).
Posted: 26 May 2014
Short URL: http://neme.org/1689
DEADLINE: 14 August 2014